The Hong Kong Maritime Museum (HKMM) story began when it was incorporated in 2003. This decision was taken by a group of people who recognised the need to preserve the rich maritime heritage of Hong Kong and provide an environment where visitors can share a common passion for ships and the sea.
As an independent registered Hong Kong charity, HKMM offers a wide range of educational activities and public programmes coupled with permanent and special exhibitions for visitors from all walks of life. The assistance of our Friends and volunteers are important for the Museum to provide ongoing learning opportunities to thousands of local school children, host world-class exhibitions and purchase cultural heritage objects that support the mission of the Museum.
Friends of HKMM hosts exclusive events including evening drinks, private guided tours, expeditions, seminars, talks and more. When you become a Friend of HKMM, in addition to enjoying a wealth of benefits, you will be contributing to the fundraising efforts of the organisation and become a Museum ambassador. The Friends group operates with the assistance of Museum’s staff to help identify priorities in public programming for the benefit of the underprivileged in Hong Kong.
Friends’ benefits include:
- Unlimited free admission to HKMM
- Preferential booking and membership rates on paid events
- Priority access to exhibition previews, talks, seminars and expeditions
- Exclusive invitations to members-only events
- 10% discount at HKMM Gift Shop on regular items
- 15% discount at the Museum’s rooftop Café 8
- Quarterly email alerts on museum activities
- Hong Kong Maritime Museum quarterly e-newsletter